Friday, July 23, 2010

Presbyterian Devotions: Me,Me,Me - Psalm 71

Psalm 71:2      Rescue me and deliver me in your righteousness; turn your ear to me and save me.

I love the Book of Psalms, but sometimes King David’s self-centered pleas are annoying. He says “Me, me, me” quite a lot and it makes me wonder what kind of a person he really was.

Don’t get me wrong, I think that David is one of the greatest heroes in the Bible, but quite often he made foolish and selfish choices that created major problems for himself, his people, and his family. Time and time again, David blamed his enemies and believed that they should be punished by God. He seemed to be in denial about his own portion of the blame and brazenly expected God to fix everything.

I am not perfect either, and I make selfish choices and foolish mistakes too. I hope, however, that I accept my culpability and seek God’s forgiveness first and my salvation second. The process is called repentance – an old-fashioned word, for sure – but one that I have constantly needed throughout my Christian journey.

Perhaps you are in the midst of a crisis, issue, or problem that you need God to fix. Maybe you’re overwhelmed with anxiety or regret and you feel emotionally paralyzed. As you come to God in prayer, ask Him initially to reveal your portion of blame and humbly seek His forgiveness. Perhaps after that experience, the next step to resolution won’t be as hard.

Prayer:                        Lord Jesus, forgive our self-centered and annoyingly narcissistic ways. Grant us the ability to see our weaknesses and faults, so that we may begin the process of contrition and repentance, and then seek resolution and completeness. In Your Holy Name, we humbly pray. Amen.

John Stuart is the pastor of Erin Presbyterian Church in Knoxville, Tennessee. If you would like to comment on today’s message, please send him an email to pastor@erinpresbyterian.org.

Today’s image is John’s latest drawing of Mount Fujiyama in Japan. It’s on his ‘places to see” Bucket List. You can view a larger version of the print by clicking on the following link:


No comments:

Post a Comment