Tuesday, October 26, 2010

Presbyterian Devotions: Confidence Restored

2 Corinthians 7:4       I have great confidence in you; I take great pride in you. I am greatly encouraged; in all our troubles my joy knows no bounds.

I flew to California last Friday to conduct the wedding of a young couple. The bride has been a member of the church that I serve for many years. She was originally part of the youth group when I came to Erin. I was delighted to do the wedding and it turned out to be a wonderful occasion. I was glad that I had the courage to go.

Maybe that last sentence intrigued you, after all how much courage does it take to conduct a wedding? Well let me put it this way: I hate flying.

The last time I was on a jet, I had a terrible experience with turbulence and by the end of my journey, my nerves were totally shot. I vowed never to go on an airplane ever again and haven’t been flying for several years. I had resolved to being tied to the land and only going places where I could drive or catch a train. Then I received two invitations to conduct weddings in South Africa and California. I couldn’t do the 24 hour flight to South Africa, but after giving it much thought and prayer, I decided to take the five hour flight to California. I reckoned that if my experience was much the same as before, then when I returned home, I would no longer take to the skies ever again.

The flights were wonderful and I enjoyed the whole experience. To keep me occupied and distracted, I listened to podcasted sermons from preachers that I admire on all my flights. Some turbulence scared me, but it did not ruin my flying. I felt supported by God and upheld in prayer. My confidence is now restored and I am greatly encouraged. Next time that I have to do it, I will be ready to fly.

Perhaps my fear of flying is nothing compared to your own anxiety or worries. Maybe you have many real and serious problems to contend with. I hope that you can discover God’s presence in the midst of all that troubles you and that Paul’s words will help you to endure and overcome them. May you be greatly encouraged about the future and find that in your time of crisis, God cares enough to lead you through it to a future of greater gladness and joy.

Prayer:                        Lord God, You know everything about us and we fully depend upon Your favor and patience. We need Your love and care to get us through tough times and our current crises. Bless us with strength and confidence to overcome all that we face. Grant us healing and peace for the days to come. In Christ’s Holy Name, we pray. Amen.

John Stuart is the pastor of Erin Presbyterian church in Knoxville, Tennessee. If you would like to comment on today’s message, please send him an email to pastor@erinpresbyterian.org.

Today’s image is John’s impressionistic drawing of the Golden Gate Bridge in San Francisco at dawn. You can view a larger version of the drawing here: http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2405/4506588885_3aaff840ee_b.jpg

No comments:

Post a Comment