Tuesday, January 18, 2011

Presbyterian Devotions: Passing Through - Philippians 3:20

Philippians 3:20         But our citizenship is in heaven. And we eagerly await a Savior from there, the Lord Jesus Christ.

A lot of people, when they get to hear my Scottish accent, usually ask me if I ever feel homesick. It surprises them when I usually say, “No.” They reckon that I would be pining for the Auld Country, but the truth is this: I miss the people, but not necessarily the place.

I’m not disrespecting the land of my birth either; it’s a beautiful place. It’s just that I’m moving onward and upward to God’s country. I’m just a pilgrim passing through the Earth, no matter where I’ve come from, or where I will ever live.

As Paul stated long ago, people who are Christians should view things like citizenship and nationality as being temporary, which means that our patriotism and loyalty ultimately and truly belong to God. There is no Scotland in heaven; there is no USA beyond the Pearly Gates. There is just one kingdom and one country: that of God’s Sovereign realm.

So do I ever get homesick? Yes, but not for Scotland. I yearn for the day when my soul will be at one with Christ in God’s Kingdom. I long to be home in Christ’s Country and everlasting presence. And in the end, when all is said and done, isn’t this the reason why we became Christians in the first place?

John Stuart is the pastor of Erin Presbyterian Church in Knoxville, Tennessee. If you would like to comment on today’s message, please send John an email to pastor@erinpresbyterian.org.

Today’s image is one of John’s latest New Yorker series. It’s called “Snow Show at Radio City” and features traffic in the snow outside of the famous theater. You can view a larger version of this picture online at: http://farm6.static.flickr.com/5130/5345410288_aa183fa9f1_b.jpg

All of John’s drawings can be found on the Web at his art site at www.stushieart.wordpress.com
Signed, numbered and matted prints are available for only $20 each (plus shipping if necessary). They make unique gifts for birthdays, anniversaries, weddings and new homes. Just contact John by email and he’ll be delighted to help you.

No comments:

Post a Comment