Wednesday, April 13, 2011

Presbyterian Easter Devotions: My Last Easter - Hebrews 3:10-11

Hebrews 3:10-11 That is why I was angry with that generation, and I said, 'Their hearts are always going astray, and they have not known my ways.' So I declared on oath in my anger, 'They shall never enter my rest.' 

If this was my last Easter, what would I preach?

That’s a question that has been on my heart for several days. After all these years of preaching the Gospel and celebrating Easters in my life, I wonder how different my words would be on Easter morning if I knew that this will be my last time to preach the Resurrection message?

I think I would have to begin with the Cross and tell it like it was and is. I would have to tell people that they take Jesus for granted and cheapen His grace. I would have to say that without coming to the Cross, there is no way of getting into heaven. We cannot bypass it. We cannot ignore it. We cannot set the Crucified Christ aside and depend upon our own good deeds, good thoughts and good words.

I would have to say that without repenting and changing our ways, we cannot be restored to God’s love. We may want the glory of heaven, but all that we will receive is the agony of hell. I would preach that Christians are not people who seek to be popular, but who are constantly in conflict with the world.

I would preach that we are sinners who are saved by grace, but that grace does not give us the divine right to do what we want. I would say that when Jesus calls us to love one another, He is not talking about tolerance but about a love that is deeper and infinitely more than that. Real love is having the courage to tell those we love dearest to change their ways or be estranged from God forever.

If this was my last Easter, I would preach that the Church is following a foolish path and that our leaders are taking the people, especially those who are young and impressionable, astray. I would prophetically preach that this generation will incur God’s wrath, as unpopular and as bigoted as that sounds to many people, and that if they continue to walk into the dark and desolate wilderness, they will never enter into God’s rest. I would preach all that and more besides, if I knew this was my last Easter.

But perhaps this may not be my last Easter; perhaps instead, this is your last Easter.

Prayer:             Lord Jesus, help us! Amen.

John Stuart is currently the pastor of Erin Presbyterian Church in Knoxville, Tennessee. If you would like to comment or ask questions of today’s message, please send him an email to pastor@erinpresbyterian.org.

Today’s image is called “Easter Window.” It’s based upon four past Holy Week drawings that John has created. If you would like to view a larger version, please click on the following link: http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2731/4488477264_e51768963d_o.jpg

No comments:

Post a Comment