Monday, February 22, 2010

Presbyterian Devotions: Touching Jesus

Mark 5:27-28 When she heard about Jesus, she came up behind him in the crowd and touched his cloak, because she thought, "If I just touch his clothes, I will be healed."

Many years ago, when I went to the 428 Gospel Club in Glasgow, Scotland, a friend of mine used to sing a song about the story of the woman who touched the hem of Christ’s garment. Every Wednesday evening, the people at the club used to ask Ian to play his guitar and sing this song. The chorus went along the lines of:

“If I could just touch the hem of His garment, if I could just touch some part of His clothes,
I know I’d be healed, my sins all forgiven. If I could just touch Him, I know I’d be whole.”
It was a beautiful song and it always touched the hearts of everyone who heard Ian sing it. Even now, as I remember those nights from more than thirty years ago, I can still hear in my mind Ian’s tenor voice and the wonderful way he rhythmically played his guitar.

It’s also a wonderful story of faith. We may never know her name, but so long as the Gospel is preached throughout the earth, the courageous faith of the woman in the crowd will remain as an example of perseverance and belief, persistence and hope. She did not wish to bring attention to herself because she felt so unworthy, but Jesus transforms the miraculous moment into something greater than she anticipated. Christ not only heals her completely, He also lovingly calls her ‘Daughter.’ She is a part of His Family and God’s Kingdom. She is welcomed into His heart and blessed beyond belief.

It’s the start of a new week and all of us have many responsibilities and tasks to fulfill. We may feel daunted by the stress and pressure that another week will bring. At some point, we will need to be spiritually refreshed and require encouragement. To find them, all we need to do is to push through the pressure and take time to touch Jesus with our hearts, minds, and prayers. If we can just touch Him, we know we’ll be whole.

Prayer:                        Lord Jesus, thank You for allowing Your Spirit to be present in our lives. In the midst of all our busy-ness throughout this coming week, be our Guide, our Comforter, and Healer. In Your Holy Name, we pray. Amen.

John Stuart is the pastor of Erin Presbyterian Church in Knoxville, Tennessee. If you would like to comment on today’s message, please send an email to pastor@erinpresbyterian.org.

No comments:

Post a Comment