Friday, February 19, 2010

Presbyterian Devotions: A Real Likeness - Psalm 17 v 15

Psalm 17:15 And I--in righteousness I will see your face; when I awake, I will be satisfied with seeing your likeness.

Yesterday I made a special presentation to our church Seniors group about my artwork. I showed them the processes that I use when I create a drawing of a place or animal. I think they were all fascinated by the procedure and I took great pleasure in seeing them pleased with my work.

My art is impressionistic which means that it is like the subjects that I draw, but not as real as a photograph. I love impressionism because it allows you to use different shades, colors and strokes to represent a building, a place, or a creature. Most people enjoy impressionism because it allows them to put the picture together in their minds rather than on the canvas. The viewer becomes a participant in the artistry and, because each person is different, everybody views the drawing in different ways.

When the writer of Psalm 17 declares that he will be satisfied with seeing the likeness of God, I think that he is talking about looking at God impressionistically. It’s as if the psalmist understands that he cannot gaze directly into the face of God, for that would put him on equal terms with God. Therefore he looks forward to the day when he will see the likeness, the impression, the representation of God. To me, this is a prophetic and messianic verse because the psalmist is referring to Christ.

I believe that when we look at God in eternity, we will see Jesus face-to-face. He allows us to view Him directly because He has made all things level through His sacrificial death and glorious resurrection. The Cross cancels out our sin, so that we are no longer separated from God. The Resurrection gives us an everlasting hope, so that we may enjoy and be in God’s presence forever.

Prayer:                        Lord Jesus, thank You for being the likeness of God for us. Thank You for making the way clear for us, so that we may look into Your eyes and know that You are our Lord and our God. Help us to share this good news with others today. In Your Holy Name, we pray. Amen.

John Stuart is the pastor of Erin Presbyterian Church in Knoxville, Tennessee. If you would like to comment on today’s message, please send him an email to pastor@erinpresbyterian.org.

John’s artwork is online at www.stushieart.wordpress.com. If you would like a signed copy of any piece, please contact him at the above email.

Today’s image is one that he completed last night. It is called “Iconic Moon” and features an American Bald eagle.

No comments:

Post a Comment