Tuesday, November 15, 2011

Elders Devotions: Which is Easier? - Matthew 9:5

Today’s Bible readings are Isaiah 22:9-16 and Matthew 9:1-8

Matthew 9:5    Which is easier: to say, 'Your sins are forgiven,' or to say, 'Get up and walk'? 

Which is easier: to say, ‘I’m a Christian,’ or to actually be a Christian?

Wow! That second statement hits me right at the heart of my heart. I can say I’m a Christian all day long, but if I don’t practice what Christ preached, doesn’t that make me a hypocrite? It’s so easy to fool myself into thinking I’m a good person, doing good deeds, thinking positive thoughts and not doing anything bad, but is that just a delusion? Am I fooling myself, but not the people who know me best or the God who knows everything?

It would be very easy to point out other people who are not Christians. It would be less difficult to unlovingly label other people as outcast and strangers, hypocrites and heathens; but to honestly call myself a Christian? Is that my call to make or does Jesus do it for me?

Today has been a quiet day of self-reflection, meditation, and reconnecting with Christ. I seem to be at a spiritual crossroads where I must seriously ponder what God wants me to do with the rest of my days. I want to be totally committed to Christ, but that would involve a lot of challenges and changes. On the other hand, I want life to be easy as a church-going Christian teacher and preacher, but is that what faith is all about?

Over the years, I’ve watched Christian people of all ages fall into a religious routine that is soul-less, meaningless, and faithless. They don’t do it deliberately; it just happens day by day, week after week, year after year. They get so cozy with God and buddy with Christ that they believe everything that they say, do, or even think is okay with God and totally acceptable to Christ. That’s when it becomes easier to say, “I am a Christian,” rather than actually be one.

I don’t want to get comfy with Christ or cozy with God. I don’t want to just say “I’m a Christian,” I really want to live as one. I know it’s not going to be easy, or that the path ahead will be smooth, but I would rather walk in His ways for the rest of my days.

How about you?

Prayer:            Lord Jesus, You did not promise that following You would be easy; in fact You told us to pick up our crosses and then follow You. Help all of us this day to make the right choices that please, honor, and glorify You alone. In Your Holy Name, we pray. Amen.

John Stuart is the pastor of Erin Presbyterian Church in Knoxville Tennessee. If you would like to comment or ask a question about today’s message, please send John an email to pastor@erinpresbyterian.org.

Today’s image is John’s latest drawing. It’s called “Whale Play” and features a humpback whale surfacing on the sea. If you would like to view a larger version of the drawing, please click on the following link: http://farm7.static.flickr.com/6105/6336468229_058c5a5e5d_b.jpg

No comments:

Post a Comment